Monday, December 7, 2015

Contribution to the Slave Name Roll Project: Oglethorpe County, Georgia

Christine Johnson-Williams sent me several electronic mail messages, earlier this year, which included images of wills related to her ancestors. Christine doesn't blog but wanted to contribute to the Slave Name Roll project. She very graciously included a transcription of the images, which helped tremendously. This is just one way people may contribute. Thank you, Christine!

If you would like to volunteer, please message me on Facebook. I have been getting more contributions from people who do not blog. Sometimes, like Christine, they send a transcription, which makes creating a blog post quite easy. Other times, they just send the images, which then need to be transcribed into a blog post. Either way, they will eventually make their way onto the Slave Name Roll Project.

Last will and testament of Henry Hill, Oglethorpe County, Georgia, Will Book C (1826-1833), pages 75-78:

Item 1-I give and bequeath to my wife Elizabeth Hill...the following named servants (To wit) old Cofe, Littleton, Henry, Allen, Mathew, John, Jiney, Charlotte, Patience, Molesey, Hannah, Jimmy, Dinah.

Item 2-I give and bequeath to my loving son Whitman Coke Hill...the following named servants (To wit) the five of which he now has in possession Brister, Turner, Lydia, and her son Jamisson and Fanny likewise Joe, Little Tom, Shane, Nancy, Tabby, Irwin, Leacy and their further increase...

Item 3rd I give and bequeath to my loving daughter Sophia Wesley Lucas, the following servants (To wit) Lonnon, Harrow and Frances.

[Note: No slaves were named in Item 4]

Item 5th I give and bequeath to my loving son Henry Philbin hill, the following servants (To wit) Ben, Little Sam, Squire, Burrel, Willis...

Item 6th I give and bequeath to my loving daughter Elizabeth Walton Hardeman the following servants (To wit) Washington, William, Soloman, Clarke, Sue, Lydia, Mary Ann, George, Bob and Sarah and their future increase.

At the death of my wife, the property left her during her life I make the following disposition that is to say my son Whitman Coke Hill I give and bequeath my boy Allen, Dinah and John...I give and bequeath to my daughter Susannah Hampton Williams the following servants (To wit) Harry, Patience and Hannah...I give and bequeath to my son Henry Philbin Hill the following servants (to Wit) Mathew, Molesey and Charlotte...I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Walton Hardeman Jimmy and Littleton...

I is my wish that Old Cofe and old Jiney have the privilege (after the death of my wife Elizabeth Hill) of living with any of my Children which they may think proper.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set to my hand and seal this twenty ninth day of April in the Year of our Lord Eighteen Hundred and twenty nine 1829.

_______________
Slave Name Roll Project

No comments:

Post a Comment