Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Transcription Tuesday: Will of Benjamin Tucker (1704-1778)

In the name of God Amen. I Benjamin Tucker of the county of Southampton being of purfect sience and memory doe this thirtieth day of January one thousand seven and seventy eight make public this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is to say Viz.

Impremise, I do give and bequeath to my son William one hundred and thirty three acres land being the part whereon he has improved to him and his heirs forever.

Item, I give and bequeath to my son John one hundred and seventy five acres land being that part whereon I live also my bay horse, bridle and saddle and a steal plated Croseus and hand saws and grinestone to him and his heirs forever.

Item, I give and bequeath to my son Henry one hundred and seventy six acres land being the residue and remainder of the tract I live on also a mare and colt and whipsaw, one folding table, one bed and furniture to him and his heirs forever.

Item, I give and bequeath to my son Benjamin ten pounds Virginia money, one iron pot to him and his heirs forever.

Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Phebe a bed and furniture and two ews and lambs to her and her heirs forever.

Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Winfred a bed and furniture and one ewe and lamb to her and her heirs forever.

Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth a bed and furniture, one ewe and lamb and one flax wheel to her and her heirs forever.

Item, I desire all the residue and remainder of my estate to be equally divided between John and Henry and my three daughters except one cabinet to my son John to the discretion of my executors hereafter mentioned to them and their heirs forever.

Item, I do make ordain constitute and appoint my sons John and Henry my whole and sole executors of this my last will and testament. In witness where of I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this day and year first above written.

Signed sealed and pronouced in presents of: Henry Tucker, Pricila Gurley and Sarah Edwards.


Benjamin Tucker's Southampton County Homestead; photograph from The
Descendants of William Tucker of Throwleigh, Devon
 by Robert Dennard Tucker


This will was probated 14 Feb 1779 as presented to the County Clerk, Samuel Kello, by Henry Tucker and proven by the oaths of Pricilla Gurley and Sarah Edwards. Recorded in Will Book III, page 248, Southampton County, Courtland, Virginia. Henry Tucker with Nathan Bryant and John Wilkinson, his security for one hundred pounds, entered into and acknowledged their bond for the faithful administration of the will. John Pitman, Lazarus Cook, Henry Taylor, and John Newsom were selected appraisors for the slaves and personal estate of Benjamin Tucker.

Benjamin Tucker (1704-1778) was a captain, surveyor, and planter of Southampton County, Virginia. He married Elizabeth Crofford (Crafford/Crawford) also of Southampton County. Benjamin Tucker was my sister-in-law's 6 times great grandfather. He is also my Tucker brick wall.

_______________
Spelling as found in the original document.

No comments:

Post a Comment