Thursday, November 30, 2017

Another Honor Roll Project Success!

I can't let the month in which we celebrate Veterans day to pass without mentioning another Honor Roll Project success. The objective of the project is to photograph veteran honor rolls memorials and transcribe the names so they would be indexed by Internet search engines and available to family historians and genealogists when searching for their military ancestors.

In September of 2015 I accompanied my husband to Albany, New York, where he works. While he slaved away at the office, I explored the cities, towns, and villages in the Berkshire mountains of western Massachusetts, photographing war memorials and other interesting things. In Pittsfield, Memorial Park is downtown and includes an honor roll memorial for the men from the city who served in the Civil War. I contributed the photographs and names in a blog post in honor of Memorial Day 2016. Another member of our Genealogy Bloggers Facebook group discovered her four times great grandfather's name among those listed in my post!

Facebook conversation about the Honor Roll contributions for Memorial
Day 2016; screenshot courtesy of Facebook

I was so excited as this was my second success.

The Honor Roll Project was created by Heather Wilkinson Rojo, author of Nutfield Genealogy. My contributions may be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment