Mary Inez Muir was my first cousin once removed, the eldest daughter of my grand uncle, Henry "Jack" Muir and his first wife, Mary Frances Canterbury. Mary Inez was born on 8 January 1922 in Raven, Virginia. According to her granddaughter, she was married as many as nine times. So far, I have found at least the surnames of eight husbands.
On 26 January 1994 Mary Inez married Coy Franklin Hicks in Tazewell County, Virginia. For years I could not find any additional information about Coy beyond his name. Earlier this week, I tried searching for him again. I had more success than I bargained for and found three men named Coy Franklin Hicks!
|Virginia marriage record for Mary Inez and Coy Franklin Hicks; |
courtesy of Ancestry.com
Coy Franklin Hicks
- Born: 17 June 1917 in Caretta, West Virginia, to Mitchell and Rebecca "Beckie" (Boothe) Hicks.
- Died: 23 May 1999 in Tazewell County, Virginia
- Married: 1) Kathleen Hopkins (died in 1988) in 1938 and 2) Mary Inez Muir in 1994; no known children
- Born: 21 December 1918 in Davidson County, North Carolina, to Marvin and Cora Louise (Klass) Hicks
- Died: 8 June 1971 in Thomasville, North Carolina
- Married: 1) Dorothy Mae Loveless in 1938; one known child
- Born: after 1940 to Coy Harrison and Elma H. (Ward) Hicks
- Married: 1) Carolyn Joy Harris and 2) Trudy (maiden name unknown); three known children by his first wife