Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Last Wills, Testaments and Codicils of James and Elizabeth Morse (Rogers) Riggin

Last will and testament of James Riggin (1794-1858); courtesy of Ancestry.com

Will of James Riggin

I, James Riggin, of the county of St. Clair in the State of Illinois, do hereby make and declare this my last will and testament, in manner and form as follows to wit:

First, it is my will that my funeral expenses and all of my just debts to be paid.

Second, that after the settlement of my debts, I give and bequeath to my beloved wife, Elizabeth M. Riggin all my real and personal property of whatever means or kind it may be to be used and disposed of by her as she may think proper with the exception of ten dollars to my son, James H. Riggin and ten dollars to my grandson, Edward Elden Riggin -- only child of my son William B. Riggin, deceased. Said bequests to be paid immediately after the will is put on record.

And lastly, I hereby appoint my said wife Elizabeth M. Riggin, Executrix, to execute this my last will and testament and have the same put upon record in the proper probate office, and the provisions of the same carried out without giving bond and security for the performance of the same, as the law requires, when not otherwise prohibited, having full confidence in her honesty and capability.

Hereby revoking all former wills by me made satisfying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affix my seal this 13th day of March 1857.

James Riggin (signed and sealed)

Signed, sealed, published and declared by the said James Riggin as and for his last will and testament in presence of us, who in his presence and in the presence of each other and at his request have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto.

Witnesses:

James Ranking
G. L. Moore

State of Illinois
St. Clair County

I, W. W. Roman, Clerk of the County Court for said county of St. Clair and State of Illinois, do hereby certify the foregoing to be a correct copy of the last will and testament of James Riggin, deceased, as it appears on file in my office.

Witness my hand and seal this 1st day of October 1858.

Last will and testament of Elizabeth Morse (Rogers) Riggin (1805-1875);
courtesy of Ancestry.com

Will of Elizabeth Morse (Rogers) Riggin

I, Elizabeth M. Riggin of the town of Lebanon in the county of St. Clair and the State of Illinois being in sound mind, do make and declare this my last will and testament:

1st, I direct that my executors to be below named shall, after my decease, pay out of my property, all the necessary expenses of my funeral and all my just debts.

2nd, I direct that they, my said executors, shall deliver to my niece, Elizabeth Riggin, all my wearing apparel or wardrobe, without appaisal, to be by her divided among my nieces and my daughter-in-law, Adaline Moore (including my herein named niece).

3rd, I give to my above named niece, E. M. Riggin, my gold watch and chain, and whatever jewelry I may leave, to be delivered to her without appraisal.

4th, I give to my above named daughter-in-law, Adaline M. Moore, the sum of five hundred dollars.

5th, I give and bequeath my house and the lots on which it stands viz. numbers one (1), two (2), three (3) four (4) and five (5) in Chamberlain's Addition to the Town of Lebanon together with all the furniture and silver plate and household utensils, to my grandson, Edward B. Riggin, and I appoint my executors as guardians and trustees of said house and lots with its furnishings and plate, to be by them held and managed til my said grandson shall come to his majority and then to be by them delivered to him the said Edward. And I further give and bequeath to him, my said grandson, the sum of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) to be also held and managed by my said executors as trustees till my said grandson shall be of age, and I direct them, my said executors, to see that he, my said grandson, shall have a good English, or if he shall so choose, a Classical education, to be paid for out of the annual income of the said house and lots and money above bequeathed to him.

6th, I give and bequeath to my said executors, as trustees, interest for my son, James H. Riggin, now unfortunately an inmate of the Illinois State Hospital for the Insane in Jacksonville, the sum of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) in U.S. Bonds, to be by them, as trustees held, for the sole use and benefit of my said son James during his lifetime, and I direct that the annual interest -- and a portion of the principal, if needed -- shall be used to pay his quarterly bills at the above named hospital, or some other good hospital, asylum, or retreat for the insane -- and if said annual interest shall be more than sufficient to pay such bills, then I direct that the balance shall be, at the end of each year, added to the principal, and in case my said son James shall recover from his unfortunate condition and become of sound mind, I direct that the above named sum, increased or diminished, as the case may be, shall be, by the above named trustees, paid over to the said James, and in case my said son James H. shall never recover the use of his reason, then I direct that the said trustees, shall at his death, pay over the above named sum, so increased or diminished, to the Commissioners of the Endowment Trust of McKendree College to be by the said Commissioners and their successors in office held in trust forever for the use of said College according to the rules and regulations of said Endowment Fund.

7th, I give and bequeath to my friend Mrs. Hannah L. Lane the sum of two hundred dollars ($200.00) and to the daughter of Mrs. Lane -- Minnie -- the sum of fifty dollars ($50.00) and to Mrs. Lane's son. George, the sum of fifty dollars ($50.00).

8th, I give and bequeath to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Lebanon the sum of two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00) (in addition to the two subscriptions by me made to said trustees and now unpaid amounting to one hundred and fifty dollars ($150.00) for the purpose of aiding to complete the church which said trustees are now building in said Lebanon.

9th, And I give and bequeath the balance of my property, however much it may be, to the above mentioned Commissioners of the Endowment Fund of McKendree College to be by them and their successors in office, forever held in trust according to the rules and regulations of the said endowment fund of said college and for the use of said college.

And I hereby appoint and constitute Luther Brown and Robert Allyn both of said Lebanon, the executors of this my last will and testament and also as above said, constitute them trustees of the property bequeathed to my grandson Edward B. and to my son James H. for his use, and I request the judge of the Court of Probate for St. Clair county not to require of them, my said executors and trustees as aforesaid, bonds in a sum greater than forty thousand dollars ($40,000.00).

In testimony whereof I have herewith set my hand and seal and declare and published this my last will and testament, in the presence of the witnesses, whose names are hereunto also set, and who have signed the same in my presence and in the presence of each other this twenty-third day of November in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty eight.

E. M. Riggin (signed and sealed)

E. A Blair
M. E. Padon

(Both signing in presence of Mrs. E. M. Riggin and each other)

F. O. Blair
J. C. Robb

(Signing in presences of Mrs. Riggin and each other)

State of Illionis
St. Clair County

In the County Court of said county in Probate, July term, A. D. 1875

Personally appeared in open court, J. C. Robb and F. O. Blair, subscribing witnesses to the foregoing instrument of writing, purporting to be the last will and testament of Elizabeth M. Riggin, late of St. Clair County, deceased, who being dully sworn according to law, do depose and say, each for himself, that the foregoing is the last will and testament of the said Elizabeth M. Riggin, deceased, that they subscribed their names thereto as the attesting witnesses at the request of the said testator and in her presences and in the presence of each other on the 23rd day of November A. D. 1868. That he then and there subscribed her name thereto in their presence, and declared the same to be her last will and testament, and that the said testator is at the...[illegible] the same as aforesaid was of full age, of sound mind...[illegible] under no constraint.

J. C. Robb
F. O. Blair

Subscribed and sworn to in open court this 5th day of August A. D. 1875.

Louis C. Starkel, County Clerk, by Thomas Rhein, Deputy

Last will and testament of Elizabeth Morse (Rogers) Riggin (1805-1875);
courtesy of Ancestry.com

I, Elizabeth M. Riggin, who subscribed to the above document and declare it to be my last will and testament in presence of the witnesses who are named also and are subscribed to it, being still in sound mind, and having further reflected on the final disposition of my property and having become convinced that my said property real and personal amounts in value to more than I had heretofore supposed and being desirous to further aid my daughter-in-law, Adaline Moore, named in my above written will and to remember favors done to me by other friends, do make and declare this codicil to my above last will and testament, viz.

1st, I give and bequeath to my above named daughter-in-law the additional sum of five hundred dollars ($500.00).

2nd, I give and bequeath to my beloved friend Mary B. Allyn the sum of five hundred dollars ($500.00).

3rd, I give and bequeath to my beloved friend Hannah L. Lane, who is named in my above will, the additional sum of one hundred dollars ($100.00).

And these sums thus bequeathed in this codicil to my above last will and testament I direct my above named executors to pay before any monies paid over to the  Endowment Fund of McKendree College or to the Commissioners of said endowment fund, and I direct my said executors, if in their judgment, they shall think best, to retain in their hands all monies which may be realized for the above named Endowment Fund out of my property above bequeathed to it, and to manage said property or monies, always investing the annual interest received, until it shall have amounted to twenty-five thousand dollars and then to pay the total sum over to the said commissioners.

In testimony whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal and have declared this codicil to my last will and testament above written to be of equal force and virtue with amendatory of my last will and testament in presence of the witnesses whose names are also hereto subscribed in my presence and in the presence of each other this ninth day of December in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-eight.

Elizabeth M. Riggin (signed and sealed)

In presence of...

F. O. Blair
E. A. Blair
J. C. Robb

State of Illinois
St. Clair County

In the County Court of said county in Probate, July term A. D. 1875

Personally appeared in open court, J. C. Robb and F. O. Blair subscribing witnesses to the foregoing instrument of writing, purporting to be a codicil to the last will and testament of Elizabeth M. Riggin, late of St. Clair County, deceased, who being duly sworn according to law do depose and say each for himself that the foregoing is a codicil to the last will and testament of the said Elizabeth M. Riggin, deceased; that they subscribed their names thereto as the attesting witnesses at the request of the said testator, and in her presence and in the presence of each other on the 9th day of December A. D. 1868; That she then and there subscribed her name thereto in their presence, and declared the same to be a codicil to her last will and testament and that the said testator at the time of executing the same as aforesaid was of full age, of sound mind and memory and under no constraint.

J. C. Robb
F. O. Blair

Subscribed and sworn in open court this 5th day of August A. D. 1875.

Louis C. Starkel, County Clerk, by Thomas Rhein, Deputy

I, Elizabeth M. Riggin, of the town of Lebanon in the county of St. Clair and State of Illinois, being of sound mind and memory, having reflected on the final disposition made by me of my property in my last will and testament, as signed and acknowledged by me on the twenty-third day of November A. D. 1868, and as modified by me in a codicil to my said will also signed and acknowledged by me to be a part of that my last will, on the ninth day of December and year aforesaid, and being desirous of making provisional disposition of so much of my property above mentioned as is by the aforesaid will given to my grandson Edward B. Riggin, in case of his death before he shll become of age and in case he shall die without issue, and being further desirous to remember the kindness to my me of my niece Elizabeth M. Riggin and to testify my affection for her and for others of my family connections do make and ordain the following as a second codicil to my above named will and thereby command my executors in my will named to receive and execute this additional codicil following, as a part and parcel of that my last will and testament and its accompanying codicil, viz:

1st, I hereby revoke so much of my said last will as is contained in Item Fifth thereof and as gives my entire house and grounds with its furniture and silver plate to my grandson Edward B. Riggin, and I heregy give and bequeath my said house and grounds with its furniture to my said grandson Edward B. and to my niece above named, Eliza M. Riggin, in joint and equal ownership on condition as to the said Eliza M. that she shall occupy and care for said house after my death, and I hereby direct that if my executors and my said niece shall deem it best before my said grandson shall be twenty four years old they shall sell or dispose of said house and furniture and divide the proceeds two-thirds to the said grandson to be invested in a farm for him, and one-third to my said niece, and in case my niece shall not occupy said house the whole...[illegible] shall be invested in a farm as above, for my said grandson...[illegible]

Last will and testament of Elizabeth Morse (Rogers) Riggin (1805-1875);
courtesy of Ancestry.com

the death of my said grandson before he shall be of age or without issue I then direct that his proper portion of said house or its proceeds shall be returned to my estate to be by my executors disposed of according to the terms of my above named will.

2nd, I give and bequeath to my nieces Eliza M. Riggin, Mary Hall, Arminda Jones, Julia Higgins, Elizabeth Raney, Caroline Yorcome and Mary Ann Rogers each the sum of two hundred dollars which sums I direct my executors to pay to them before they shall pay any monies to the commissioners of the Endowment Fund of  McKendree College provided in my above named last will.

3rd, I direct that my family portraits and sea shells be kept in my family meaning that in case of the death of my afore named grandson without issue they shall be delivered to my niece Eliza M. Riggin to be her property.

4th, I further direct that in the case of the death of my above named grandson before he shall be of age, the sum of five hundred dollars bequeathed in Item Fifth of my before named last will shall be returned to my estate to be by my executors disposed of according to the terms of that my last will and testament.

In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal and declared this additional codicil to my last will above written to be of equal force and virtue with said will and its appended codicil and amendatory of the same in presence of the witnesses whose names are also hereto set, who have subscribed the same in my presence and of one another this nineteenth day of October in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy.

Elizabeth M. Riggin (signed and sealed)

In presence of

Oliver V. Jones
Samuel H. Deneen

State of Illinois
St. Clair County

In the County Court of said county in Probate July term A. D. 1875

Personally appeared in open court Oliver V. Jones and Samuel H. Deneen, subscribing witnesses to the foregoing instrument of writing purporting to be a codicil to the last will and testament of Elizabeth M. Riggin late of St. Clair County, deceased, who being duly sworn according to law do depose and say, each for himself, that the foregoing is a codicil to the last will and testament of the said Elizabeth M. Riggin, deceased, that they subscribed their names thereto as the attesting witnesses, at the request of the said testator and in her presence, and in the presence of each other, on the 19th day of October A. D. 1870. That she then and there subscribed her name thereto in their presence; and declared the same to be a codicil to her last will and testament, and that the said testator is at the time of executing the same as aforesaid was of full age, of sound mind and memory, and under no constraint.

Oliver V. Jones
Samuel H. Deneen

Subscribed and sworn to in open court this 27th day of July A. D. 1875

Louis C. Starkel, County Clerk

I, Elizabeth M. Riggin, who made and signed the within document and declared to be my last will and testament, do hereby in consideration of the fact that since the making and signing of the within will, I have at different times through my agent, Robert Allyn, paid to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Lebanon named in the Eighth Item of this within will dated November 23rd 1868, the total sum of twenty-one hundred and fifty dollars, and having agreed to pay during the last half of the year 1874 the further sum of five hundred dollars, do hereby revoke and annul wholly and forever the said Eighth Item of my said last will and testament. In testimony of which I have hereunto set my hand and seal this eleventh day of August 1873 in presence of the witnesses whose names are also hereunto set in my presence and in the presence of each other.

Elizabeth Riggin (signed and sealed)

H. H. Horner
R. F. Cunningham

State of Illinois
County of St. Clair

In the County Court of said county in Probate, July term A. D. 1875

Personally appeared in open court, Henry H. Horner and R. F. Cunningham, subscribing witnesses to the foregoing instrument of writing purporting to be a codicil to the last will and testament of Elizabeth M. Rigging late of St. Clair County, deceased, who being duly sworn according to law do depose and say, each for himself, that the foregoing is a codicil to the last will and testament of the said Elizabeth M. Riggin, deceased, that they subscribed their names thereto as the attesting witnesses, at the request of the said testator and in her presence, and in the presence of each other on the 11th day of August A. D. 1873. That she then and there subscribed her name thereto in their presence, and declared the same to be a codicil to her last will and testament, and that the said testator at the time of executing the same as aforesaid was of full age, of sound mind and memory and under no constraint.

H. H. Horner
R. F. Cunningham

Subscribed and sworn to in open court this 27th day of July A. D. 1875

Louis C. Starkel, County Clerk

A true copy of the last will and testament and codicils attached thereto, of Elizabeth M. Riggin, deceased.

Attest: Louis C. Starkel, County Clerk, by Thomas Rhein, Deputy

_______________
Riggin/Pesold House, Lebanon, Illinois

No comments:

Post a Comment