Friday, September 25, 2015

Worldwide Genealogy: Writing about Scottish Soldiers in World War I

Today is the 25th so it's my day to contribute a bi-monthly post to Worldwide Genealogy -- A Genealogical Collaboration.  We're a group of global genealogy and family history bloggers so I try to write about topics with wide appeal. I thought what I've been learning about researching British soldiers during World War I might be such a topic. I had to go back to "school," so to speak before I succeeded in learning much.

Unfortunately, records about their service are spotty at best. German bombers struck the War Ministry repository in 1940. More than half of the military service records pertaining to World War I were destroyed.

Damage caused during September 1940 German bombing raid of London;
photograph courtesy of Wikipedia

I hope you'll click over to my post and read about what I've learned and what resources I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment