Thursday, April 10, 2014

Ancestry DNA and Finding a "New" Cousin

My AncestryDNA results arrived several months ago when I was working on my great grandmother, Effie Davis Beard's paternal Beard line. I was able to conclusively work back to her great grandfather, Samuel Beard (1750-1814), but then I got stuck. Who were Samuel Beard's parents?

As I started looking at my DNA test results, I had about a half dozen matches with a shared ancestor. Those were great and mostly from my father's Jennings line, which have several very able and talented researchers so the trees are quite well built out and documented. After reviewing all the matches with a shared ancestor, I started looking at some other high confidence matches without shared ancestors.

One really got my attention.  Their family tree was filled with Beards and it seemed they originated from Bedford County, Virginia, just like my Beards. As I reviewed her tree -- and it was a wonderful tree that included old photographs and personal reminisces about family members -- I learned her Beards descended from a Captain David Beard (1745-1815). Could he be related to my Samuel Beard?

David Beard's father was Adam Beard (1725-1777).  Adam's father, John Beard (1705-1780), left a will in which he named several grandchildren. Through this will and several other documents related to David and Samuel's aunts, uncles and siblings, I've concluded they are brothers -- a fact the DNA match seems to support. Once I had that worked out, I began working on David Beard's descendants was was able to confirm how my DNA match and I were related. I reached out to my DNA match and introduced myself.

The Mason County, West Virginia, cabin of Adam Beard (1787-1872), son of Capt. David Beard
Courtesy of my DNA match's son's Ancestry.com family tree

Over the last several months, we have become research collaborators, trading information back and forth, and email buddies.  Her uncle Clarence Mern Beard (1885-1960), wrote a book entitled, Last of the Covered Wagons. It is out of print now and I have not been able to find a copy. My cousin had a copy of the original manuscript and thoughtfully typed it into Word and sent me an electronic copy. She has allowed me to blog about the book from time to time and I look forward to doing so.

Clarence Mern Beard (left) with his father-in-law, Francis Henry Banker
I would love to know the story behind this photo.
Photograph is courtesy of Ancestry.com member dac529

You just never know what you'll find at the other end of a DNA match!

Update: Another AncestryDNA test match had me confused for awhile, until the three of us did more research. We discovered my first DNA match, and a descendant of the people described in this post, descended from Adam Beard's (1725-1777) youngest son, also named Adam Beard (1755-1788), not his older brother, David. Genealogy research is never done.

13 comments:

  1. That is a great story! I am working with a 3rd cousin match on the Ancestry DNA to see where we're related. I have also been contacted by 2 others and we are sharing information. It is worth the money to do the DNA because I have been able to authenticate family I couldn't confirm before. Now I'm waiting for my 23 and Me results to see what else matches. I love success stories like yours!
    http://yeakleyjones.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so enjoyed working on my AncestryDNA matches. My friend did 23andMe first and was disappointed because most people didn't respond back. I think because 23andMe also was testing for health issues (before the government stopped them) you got a mixed bag. Have you thought about downloading your raw DNA results and tree and uploading them to GEDCOM? It's free and everyone is interested in genealogy so the likelihood of getting a response from a match is more likely.

      Delete
    2. Have you been able to check passport applications to see if they state why they were traveling? Also, the town newspapers may have mentioned when they returned from their travels.

      Delete
    3. There was no indication of the purpose of the trip on Clarence's passport application, but on his father-in-law's application, he stated they were going on an American Express World Tour!

      Delete
  2. My great great grandfather is Clarence mern beard also the brother of Effie beard their fathers name was William Adam beard I have just begun my search but can't get farther than William beard for some reason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exiting to hear from you! I look forward to learning more. I've done a bit of research on the Beards as my great grandmother, Effie Davis Beard, had been a brick wall for a long time. If you would leave a message for me on my genealogy Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TangledRootsAndTrees?ref=bookmarks with your email address, I will be in touch.

      Delete
    2. Also my family tree is on Ancestry.com if you have a subscription, you should be able to see it: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/11910416/person/26012806978

      If not, once I have your email address, I can invite you to it and you will be able to see it.

      Delete
  3. Adam Beard's sister Rachel Beard Pharr is my ggggg Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking for parents of Jabez S. Beard 1790-1854 born in Bedford County virginia and migrated to Lauderdale County Alabama. Any information is appreciated

      Delete
    2. I do not have a Jabrz S. Beard in my family tree but Ancestry.com member edwardbeard1 has an extensive Beard tree which includes Jabez. According to his tree Jabez's father is Abner Beard born in 1770 death unknown.

      Delete
  4. My great uncle is Clarence Mern Beard who wrote the book you mentioned. I would greatly love to see your copy. Would this be possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'll send your name and email address to psd11719 @ gmail.com (without the spaces), I'll see if I can get permission from the owner to share the transcription of the book with you. She is one of Clarence Mern Beard's nieces and gave me permission to excerpt small portions of the book in this blog, but not to give the entire transcription to anyone. You can find all the excerpts here: http://tangledrootsandtrees.blogspot.com/search/label/Last%20of%20the%20Covered%20Wagons

      Delete