Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fearless Females: Heirlooms


March is Women's History month and the Accidental Genealogist has 31 blogging prompts for the month to celebrate. I'm not sure I'll participate in every prompt but I will today. The prompt is: Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestry. 

I am fortunate to have a few cherished heirlooms that I use as often as possible. If you spend the night at our home, you may sleep on pillowcases Grandma Lange embroidered and under a quilt my mother made.

Grandma Lange's embroidered cut-work pillowcases

I use these pillowcases on a bed with my Mom's cathedral quilt.

Mom's quilt

My most prized possession, however, is Grandma's engagement ring. I was only two years old when she died so it's doubtful any memory I may have of her is accurate. What I think I remember are her big, warm hands. Such a surprise to discover her engagement ring is a little small for me. I took it to be resized, but our jeweler said it was so delicate and so priceless, he didn't want to take the chance of damaging it. So I wear it on cold days when my hands are not the least bit swollen. It's still as beautiful as when I snuck into my parent's bedroom to pull it out of the jewelry box and try it on.

Grandma's engagement ring (I'll never be a hand model!)

I am named after my maternal grandmother, Wilhelmina Schalin, and honored to have her engagement ring.

Grandma Lange doing fine embroidery work

No comments:

Post a Comment